The success of cell therapies requires a supportive legal and regulatory environment. The Regenerative Medicine Foundation (RMF) provides legal support to cases that affect stem cell research. RMF continues to advance the field by shaping favorable public policy, creating regulatory harmonization and providing advice and guidance to stakeholders.
- The Bipartisan Policy Center and the Regenerative Medicine Foundation hosted policymakers, scientific and academic experts, practitioners, and patients to discuss the science and benefits of cell therapy and new policies needed to modernize the U.S. regulatory approach for bringing safe and effective treatments to Americans. Bernard Siegel, RMF executive director, co-chaired the meeting. See the video: http://bipartisanpolicy.org/events/policy-framework-for-regenerative-cell-therapy/
- GPI submitted amicus curiae (“friend of the court”) briefs in the United States District Court for the District of Columbia and the Court of Appeals, supporting federal funding for embryonic stem cell research in Sherley v. Sebelius, a case challenging President Obama’s Executive Order and National Institutes of Health (NIH) guidelines. (Read pdf: GPI brief, GPI and CAMR brief)
- GPI led a two-year (2004-2005) public awareness and lobbying campaign, which galvanized a global movement, successfully lobbying the United Nations to reject a treaty that called for a prohibition of nuclear transfer (therapeutic cloning), saving the research by a single vote in the UN’s Legal Committee. The campaign sent 35,000 fax letters to UN missions, organized a science conference and a patients’ press conference at the UN, produced a taped appeal to the General Assembly by Christopher Reeve, led a global media campaign and lobbied UN diplomats.
- GPI filed comments to the National Institutes of Health (NIH) regarding the Draft Guidelines for Human Stem Cell Research. (pdf letters: 2009, 2010)
- GPI disseminates press releases, provides media interviews and appearances, publishes Op-Ed pieces, and supplies commentaries on issues and news impacting the field.
- RMF maintains affiliation with 25 coalitions, alliances, and collaborations covering the gamut of stakeholder groups. RMF has relationships with dozens of academic centers around the world.